Dick Strevens............ 4th March, 2006.........The long history of the School is a splendid piece of work and I read it with a great deal of interest.   It reinforces my considered opinion that HH Shephard laid very firm foundations for his pupils.   What a great scholar and Christian gentleman he was.  We all owe him a very great deal

I can recall a prayer that he used regularly at assembly that included the wish that 'we should be kept free from pride, vanity, boasting and forwardness'.   This was followed by 'and give us the air that......' 

I'd be glad to hear from any Old Boy who can refresh my memory.
Listen in to John Carey on Radio 4 tomorrow, Tuesday 30th November, 2004 at 3.45pm.   John was at Shene appx. 1944-50.

The Photo Gallery now includes a cutting from Saturday's Daily Telegraph Radio and Television guide and this explains all
Editor's Note:   A lot of people were interested in this and have written to me.    A few samples......

Derek Corless................................Thank you for details of the re-union and for the advice of John Carey's talk on language. I was in St Mary's Barnes church choir with him back in 1952-3, he had a way with words even then, I remember some puns that were worse than mine.

Ray Theodoulou.............................. I think John Carey was at Shene rather later than you mention. I recall that he took my year 1952-58 on our first cross country run in the Park. We were small boys...second year perhaps. I remember the occasion well because I came in first but only because he stopped the runners half way round to ensure that nobody had got lost. I suspect that I must have had an advantage when the race restarted because I never came anywhere near winning such a race again. When we were coming out of those dreadful showers Carey asked who had arrived at the winning post  first and I proudly raised my hand.   Our Latin teacher told me that John was the only pupil he had ever taught who never forgot anything he was told.   He also wrote poetry for the school magazine in the style of TS Elliot.   Clearly a most remarkable man.

Mike Collett...........................................................Unfortunately, we were out, and I missed it!   Carey (John) sat behind me in our last year at Shene and we were all asked to submit a poem or an essay for the school magazine by Mr. Bryant the English Master.   Mine and Carey's were selected! I can still remember mine but not his!

I remember him saying to me (obviously highly envious of my undoubted literary talent) that my poem did not 'scan'. I couldn't understand his, because it was blank verse. I like a poem that rhymes, don't you?'   It was called 'End of the Drought" and began with:-

"Splashes appear and widen in the pools caused by the pre-descended rain,
while ducks waddle joyfully across the yard"

... and so it went on in the same pulsating, gripping manner.   Makes yer weep, dunnit?   I only wrote a poem because it was quicker than writing an essay"
'The Definitive Guide To Sports Betting'........................................Jeremy Chapman has contributed 600 words to the golf chapter of this book which is out for the Christmas 2004 market.   There are sections on Cricket and every other sport, even bowls.....   Cost £15 plus postage............

Enquiries to Jeremy  at
'Through The Apartheid Keyhole'.................................written by Vaughan Stone is an autobiographical account of his adventures during 6 years in South Africa.   Obtainable from independent bookshops (Vaughan says you will need to be persistent with them) by quoting the Publisher's details or, of course, directly from the Publisher:

Maoildearg, Editor, David Green, 47, Rue du Pont Lottin, 62100 Calais, France
Hugh Riley..................................a letter written to David Richardson 7th September, 2005 by Mrs. Riley in response to the Reunion 2005 invitation

"I regret to say that Hugh is now in Sheltered Housing and unable to drive.   He is unable to take public transport after suffering a stroke following a heart operation in July 2003.   He is fairly mobile but has great difficulty with speech also writing sentences.   He did have a lot of speech therapy and has achieved a great deal in 2 years but opinion is that he will always have problems making himself understood and he also has problems with the written word."
Vaughan Stone "Life At Large" is my first book of poems - a mixture of South African
satire from way back, nature verse and gently Christian themes running
through; also some fun poems.  Available from independent booksellers, price
£4.99.  ISBN: 0-9551 431-0-1 .  Also available from me direct.
A note from David Richardson on 16th May, 2006.........Mark Stimpson ( the Treasurer of Shene Old Grammarians Football Club was recently in touch.

He told me about their own website which now has a link that takes it back to our own site

The Football Club is apparently the only surviving component of the old Association and membership is open to all comers.
John Hopkins......................They still appear to play in Old Gold shirts with quite a similar badge also. A much more practical badge than in our day when I seem to remember mine was attached by poppers so that it could be removed before washing.

I recall the change from white to Old Gold, I was on the committee and may have been Club Captain I am not sure. This relative new and young intake was trying to salvage the club playing fortunes, after relegation from what I think was the Senior Division to the Intermediate. Players used to turn up wearing any old shirt that could loosely be described as white. So we thought we should try to look like a team even if we found it difficult to play like one. We were heavily influenced by the team of the moment - Wolverhampton Wanderers hence the colour which seems to have stuck. We were reasonably successful thanks mainly to not so much the strip but a certain evergreen Sid Walpole who swapped his centre half role for centre forward for a while.

Robin McLaren (now Sir) of the 1940s................ Robin recently received an accolade, with others, at Royal Holloway College, Egham.   You can see a photograph of the occasion in Familiar Faces Part 5 on the Photo Gallery.

William Birtles of the 1960s.............Shene Grammar School pops up readily on a Web search and enabled the Editor to locate the following details on William which tells of his eminence in his profession.   Yet another example of Shene Old Boys 'enriching the time to come'
His Hon Judge William Birtles
Year of Call Nov 1970

Specialisation: Barrister specialising in environmental, planning and local government law. Has had considerable experience in both civil and criminal aspects of pollution claims including land contamination (arising from oil, toxic waste and industrial waste disposal), water (e.g. Barry Docks, Cardiff), air (particularly industrial smells) and noise.

Major inquiries include the Sizewell B Nuclear Power Station Inquiry (1984-86), the Westminster Council District Audit Inquiry (1994-5) and various inquiries for local authorities including the London Borough of Greenwich and Sailsbury District Council.
Also specialises in employment law, individual employment law (esp. discrimination and trade union law) and professional negligence.

Recent cases include:
Speciality Care plc v Pachela and another [1996] IRLR 248
Wallace v C.A. Roofing Services [1996] IRLR 435
R v Rochdale MBC ex parte Brown [1997] Env. R 100
R v Derbyshire CC ex parte Woods [1997] JPL 958
R v Somerset CC ex parte Dixon [1997] JPL 1030
Ind. v The Plant Hire Company (Stroud) Limited [1998] Env. L.R.D15
Housing Corporation v Bejard [1999] ICR 123
R v NorthYorkshireCounty Council ex parte Brown [1999] 1 All ER 969 (HL).

SheneCountyGrammar School; King's College, London (LLB 1967, LLM 1968); HarvardLawSchool (LLM 1971); New YorkUniversityLawSchool (Robert Marshall Fellow 1971-1972).
Reverend Professor David Alfred Martin BSc, PhD of the 1940s..................David was honoured by the British Academy in 2007 when he became a Senior Fellow.   David is an honorary assistant priest at Guildford Cathedral.

Bernie Doeser of the 1960s appeared on TV's Mastermind during October, 2007 and this is the correspondence between David Richardson and Bernie.............


'I saw the show and thought you were up against some really tough cookies without getting some rough questions yourself.   The time element is obviously crucial and being in the spotlight must have been quite an examination for you................'

........but congratulations are obviously due for being on the show in the first place.'

'Thank you David,
It was the most nerve wracking experience of my life. I had to keep thinking, they’re not going to execute me if I don’t win.
I also knew the answers to three questions I passed on, but under the conditions I couldn’t quite get the answer out.

Anyway, I was glad I had a go, but would not do it again, nor would I recommend


Taken from the School Magazine of 1947

On Thursday evening, November 13th, 1947, in the main corridor of the school, at the close of a Service of Remembrance, there was unveiled the plaque which records the names of seventy-five of our Old Boys who died on service in the war of 1939-1946. Over two hundred parents and friends were present at the ceremony. Prefects of the school and representatives of the senior forms also attended. Flowers, brought by the boys of the school helped to illuminate the improvised dais at the balcony end of the hall.

The service was conducted by an Old Boy, the Rev. F. C. Watson; Mr. Giles, Vice-Chairman of the Old Boys’ Association, read passages from the Wisdom of Solomon as a Lesson and Mr. W. R. D. Martin, secretary of the Association, read out the names on the memorial. The unveiling was done by Mr. W. G. Hale Pearce, Chairman of the Association. The hymn, ‘O, Valiant Hearts’ was sung, with the assistance of a small choir, to the piano accompaniment of Mr. D. A. Martin. Finally, the Last Post,” sounded by a bugler from Kingston Barracks, echoed its message of Hope through the corridors of the school and in the hearts of all those who had gathered to do honour to the memory of old comrades.

It was difficult for us of the school, during the service, to realise that the boys whose names are on that plaque were gone from us. We remember them at their lessons and in their games. We have little knowledge of how they fared in the world for which we helped to prepare them. But we know they faced their duty resolutely and we know they died that the rest of us might live in freedom. Let us therefore remember them as long as the bronze plaques glow softly and the graven names remind us that these men were and are our own special Old Boys. May the boys now at the school and those who, in days to come, throng the corridor, always recall why those plaques are there and resolve that when the moment of trial comes, as it does in the lives of all of us, they too may choose the Truth and the Right.



R. J. S. Ackary
P. B. Ashby
G. C. Ayres
R. J. Ayres
A. J. Baker
G. G. Barker
J. F. Bigg-Wither
 A. L. W. Bond
E. A. Brace
C. V. Brasseur
S. H. Bunch
R. E. Burgess
J. C. Cantle
M. G. Capel
R. T. Chinery
A. L. Clipson
R. G. Cole
G. L. Collins
D. M. A. Connelly
B. E. Coppin
 D. G. Corbett
J. V. Cowtan
R. W. Cox
M. E. Cumber
L. A. Day
N. W. Dorling
J. A. Dutton
J. D. Dye
W. L. Dymond
A. F. Etherington
V. Eyton-Jones
S. J. C. Groom
D. A. Harsum
K. G. Harvey
R. Heathfield
R. Herbert
P. A. Hill
K. Hoad
H. J. Huben
G. R. Humphries
D. W. G. Jones
0. A. L. Jones
H. J. Kelly
L. G. Kelly
V. S. Lacey
 L. A. Leddington
J. H. Lingwood
J. G. B. Macfarlane
S. H. Mansbridge
H. W. Matthews
E. G. Meaton
R. A. S. Mitchell
P. H. Moller
R. W. Morgan
R. H. Morgan
H. J. Naldrett
A. J. Oakley
K. B. Parker
D. M. Penny
H. E. J. Perry
J. A. Raper
R. D. C. Rich
J. W. J. Roney
B. B. Shipton
H. Slingsby
D. J. Slaughter
R. C. J. Southey
J. B. Sowerby
P. J. Stuart
F. G. R. Thomas
W. F. J. Thomson
G. A. R. Undrell
C. G. D. Walter
A. M. White
D. R. Wilson

IN MEMORIAM.....We regret the passing of the following Old Boys:

PAUL FLEWITT October, 1990
REG. JOHNSON September, 2002

Professor Paul Lewis Hancock (1937-1998) was Professor of Neotectonics at the University of Bristol and an international authority on active fault zones and earthquake movements. He had been on the staff of the department for 30 years when he died from cancer, in 1998, at the age of 61.

Paul Hancock was born in London in 1937 and educated at Sheen Grammar School and then Durham University, where he graduated with a first-class honours degree in Geology in 1959. He remained at Durham to carry out his doctoral research, on the structure of the Orielton anticline in Pembrokeshire, completing his PhD in 1962. Research and teaching appointments at Cambridge,
Nottingham and Strathclyde were to follow before he came to Bristol in 1968. He remained at Bristol for the rest of his life, being actively involved in both research and teaching in the department. He supervised more than 20 research students and, for over 20 years, was coordinator of the Joint School in Archaeology and Geology. He was promoted to Reader in 1981 and appointed to a personal chair in 1995.

Hancock's research work took him all over the world, from Spain to Argentina, China to Turkey, and from Greece to Nevada, USA. He was always an exponent of the classical traditions of field geological study. Lengthy and personal observation of the rocks in situ, and detailed recording on paper and by means of photographs, together with step-by-step mapping of the terrain, were essential for a proper understanding of what was going on. Hancock's research interests in these diverse regions included classical structural geology, in particular the study of brittle microtectonics (the use of faults to identify past stress conditions in the Earth's crust) and regional structure (major thrusts of rock masses to produce mountain ranges). He later moved increasingly into the field of neotectonics, the study of faulting and folding in action, both in the present day, and in the archaeological past.
The combination of geology and archaeology became a particularly fruitful field for Hancock in the 1990s. He showed, by observation and experiment, the nature of the earthquakes that had destroyed so many classical Greek temples. He also showed how the combination of archaeology and geology allowed the history of earthquakes in an active region to be reconstructed precisely, and then to be used as a means of calculating current and future risk.

Hancock's academic activity was reflected in a distinguished publication list, including 65 scientific articles, and ten edited books. In 1978, he launched the Journal of Structural Geology, which has since become the leading international journal in the field; from 1992 until his death, he was chairman of the International Commission on Tectonics (sponsored by UNESCO).
Those who knew Paul were aware that his sometimes stern expression hid a dry sense of humour and a kind heart. He will be remembered with affection by his colleagues and former students. In 2001, Journal of Structural Geology 23, 2&3 were devoted to the memory of Paul Lewis Hancock: Editor-in-Chief, 1979–1985; Founding Editor, 1986–1998.

The Hancock Memorial Prize is awarded annually to the best final-year MSci student, and the Hancock Occasional Prize has been set up to reward outstanding performance in Archaeology/Geology.
SID WALPOLE April, 2003

JOHN SIBUN June, 2003

TONY REYNER July, 2003

DAVID HANNELL, October, 2003

BERNARD HURDLE, October, 2003



HYWEL MADOC-JONES, January, 2004

Hywel Madoc-Jones, M.D., Secretary/Treasurer of the Massachusetts Medical
Society, died on Wednesday 14th January, 2004 after a brief illness. He was 65 years old.

A member of the Medical Society for 23 years, Dr. Madoc-Jones was a
radiation oncologist practicing at Norfolk Radiation Oncology Associates in
Norfolk. He also practised at Caritas Norwood Hospital Southwood Campus,
Caritas St. Elizabeth's Hospital in Boston, and other hospitals in the
Boston area.

Born in Cardiff, Wales, Dr. Madoc-Jones initially trained as a cancer
researcher in London. He subsequently taught radiobiology at the Washington
University School of Medicine and earned his M.D. with honours at the
Pritzker School of Medicine at the University of Chicago in 1973. He moved
to Boston in 1980 to lead the Radiation Oncology Department at Tufts
University School of Medicine.

Dr. Madoc-Jones joined the Massachusetts Medical Society in 1981 and was a
member of the Society's House of Delegates and numerous committees before
his election as Secretary/Treasurer in 2000. He was re-elected to the
position twice. He also served two terms as President of the Suffolk
District Medical Society from 1997-1999.

MMS President Thomas E. Sullivan, M.D., said, "Hywel Madoc-Jones was a true
gentleman and a Massachusetts Medical Society activist. He was vocal about
his concerns for the profession, for the Society and for the best in patient
care. He contributed selflessly to the leadership of the Society and often
reminded us of our mission and the need to use our resources wisely to carry
out our mission. His example and his counsel will be both missed and
remembered by his fellow officers and many friends and colleagues."

Dr. Madoc-Jones' funeral will be held Saturday (Jan. 17) at noon at the St.
John the Evangelist Church, Wellesley. There will be a private burial
service in Louisiana. His family requests that in lieu of flowers donations
be made in his memory to the Dr. Hywel Madoc-Jones Fund, c/o Development
Office at Tufts-New England Medical Center, 750 Washington St., Boston

As reported on the MMS Website and provided by Alan Treherne
Rev. IVAN DOWNS 2005

Dick Strevens recalls that Ivan had left the School by the time Dick arrived in September 1946 and he was to meet him later at a School scout expedition to the Lake District.   Ivan was a regular worshipper at All Saints, East Sheen.   Dick has provided the following regarding Ivan's career in the ministry via  Crockford's Clerical Directory and his death notice in the Church Times.

1965.   attended Chichester Theological College
1966.   appointed Deacon
1967.   ordained Priest
1966-70.   Assistant Curate, Corbridge with Hallow
1970-74.   Assistant Curate, Christchurch, Tyneside
1974-79.   Vicar, Walker
1979-89.   Vicar, Dudley
1990-91.   Vicar, Weetslade until retirement
1991.   Given permission to officiate
Deceased 1st March, 2005
DOUGLAS GODWIN, January, 2004


CLIFF ADAMS, June, 2004


KHALID ANSARI August, 2005




An e-mail dated 10th February, 2011 from Gareth Gregory...............................

.........................I am the son of Alan who was born in 1929 and I believe attended the school for his secondary education. Unfortunately Dad died in 2005 having suffered from dementia for some time.

After leaving school Dad graduated from Battersea Polytechnic with a degree in engineering. Following his National Service, he joined the Post Office and amongst other things assisted in laying the telephone cables across the Atlantic ending up in Newfoundland!

He later joined the CEGB (now Nuclear Power) and worked in Paternoster Square near St Paul's. The family moved from Larches Avenue to Fetcham in the early 60's. In 1972 we moved to Cheltenham with Dad's job and he became involved in finding alternative energy sources such as wave power and district heating. Towards the end of his career he became more involved in proposals for decommissioning nuclear power stations. He was invited by the IAEA to address various conferences in Vienna and Istanbul as well as travelling on a monthly basis to Brussels.

Following his retirement he and my mother visited lifelong friends in Los Angeles where he suffered a heart attack which triggered vascular dementia.

My mother's recent funeral was attended by Peter Nockolds (I believe to be an old boy) and his mother Margaret (the widow of Fred who may also have been an old boy from the 1940's?).
PAUL GARDINER, September, 2005


PERCY KUNZLI, October, 2005

CHRIS WICKS, December, 2005


RICHARD (DICK) BOND January, 2006

An extract from Mrs. Tina Bond's note to David Richardson:  'I'm sorry to have to tell you that my husband,  R.J. ( Dick ) Bond died 23rd January 2006.  He died at home in Fareham, Hants after being diagnosed with cancer nine months previously.

I'm not quite sure  when he started at the school as things were rather unsettled over the war years but he left  in 1948  to begin an apprenticeship at the R.A.E.   His love of cricket & football was greatly encouraged at the school & he continued to follow those sports through into further education with avid spectating in later life'


February, 2006
Friends and colleagues paid tribute to the internationally renowned Suffolk archaeologist.  Dr John Wymer, who lived in Bildeston, Suffolk was an expert on the Palaeolithic period, otherwise known as the 'Old Stone Age', and died on February 10, aged 77, at Southampton Hospital following a short illness.

Footnote:  from Peter Cox:.........John was an SOG who lived in the next village to me. I never got round to meeting him but did speak to him on the phone about our Reunions, which he was interested to hear. 

Editor's footnote:........As one volunteer out of a hundred at the Kew Bridge Steam Museum I was in conversation with the wife of a Trustee of the Museum at a recent Exhibition opening.   The particular study for which John was renowned had also been her own enthusiasm for many years and she was very aware of his standing.   A photograph of John, taken from the Daily Telegraph, can be seen at the Photo Gallery in FAMILIAR FACES Part 3.
.....and from Eric Foote......................I have now reached the age when scanning the Obituaries column in the Daily Telegraph can be rewarding and  interesting, but also very sad. The latter applies to last Friday's column. I read of the death of John Wymer. He had been a friend of my young brother, Raymond and guest at our home before Raymond went to the U.S.A. The obituary referred to the fact that John had been"...educated at Richmond and East Sheen County School..." and ..."In his spare time, Wymer enjoyed blues and jazz..".  In the early 1940's, Raymond and three of his colleagues from R.& E. S. County (John Wymer, Snelling (John?), Padday (?)) gathered at West Park Rd, Kew Gardens, where our family lived. The group took over our front sitting room where we had a baby-grand piano. Their jazz sessions livened up our household, but, thankfully, our neighbours must have been very tolerant or hard of hearing.  Raymond was the pianist, and I think that the other instruments played were the clarinet, guitar and drums. The atmosphere was always very, very smoky but generally happy. Raymond managed to buy original jazz and blues records and even had some shipped over from the USA. There were visits to London jazz clubs to hear the UK's best or instrumentalists from other countries.  I am glad to say that although the sessions at our home were noisy and very often discordant, I still enjoy blues and traditional jazz!

This obituary appeared in the Daily Telegraph on 3rd March, 2006
JOHN WYMER, who died on February 10 aged 77, was Britain’s foremost authority on early Stone Age settlement and had a major impact on the development of Stone Age studies inWestern Europe.

His career as an archaeologist began with the discovery in 1955 of Swanscombe Woman, the fossil remains of a skull of a woman who lived in the ThamesValley around 400,000 BC; they are among the oldest human remains ever discovered in Europe.
Wymer spent 40 years in a variety of investigations of Palaeolithic and Mesolithic sites which he expanded into a remarkable and comprehensive two-volume study of The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain.

He also carried out major programmes of research in South Africa, most notably at Klasies River Mouth, west of Port Elizabeth, where a remarkable stratigraphic sequence, more than 25m thick and spanning the entire Middle and Late Stone Age, was discovered. The sample contained more than 250,000 stone tools, as well as animal bones, sea shells and other detritus, but most important, a number of human bones. One of these was 100,000 years old, and was at the time of its discovery the world’s oldest specimen of the truly modern Homo Sapiens.

John James Wymer was born on March 5 1928 and brought up near KewGardens in London. Educated at Richmond and EastSheenCountySchool and at ShoreditchTrainingCollege he was introduced to the pleasures of the Stone Age by his parents, who took him flint-hunting in gravel pits.

He began his career as a teacher but soon turned to archaeology, and in 1956 was appointed to the staff of ReadingMuseum, where he continued his search for Palaeolithic implements in the Quarternary sediments of the river Thames. This research soon led to his first monograph, Lower Palaeolithic Archaeology in Britain as represented by the ThamesValley, published in 1968, which catalogued thousands of discoveries and used them as a basis for a chronology of the Lower Palaeolithic period. The volume was illustrated by hundreds of Wymer’s own meticulously-crafted pen-and-ink drawings of hand-axes and other flint tools
In 1965 he was recruited by Professor Ronald Singer of the University of Chicago to direct a series of excavations at sites in South Africa including the Klasies River Mouth. Returning toEngland in 1968, he went on to carry out excavations at key Palaeolithic sites, including Clacton, Hoxne and Ipswich.
His management of these excavations set new standards for prehistoric archaeology and each excavation was fully published. In 1979-80 Wymer was appointed Senior Research Associate at the University of East Anglia which bore fruit in The Palaeolithic Age (1982) and Palaeolithic Sites in East Anglia (1985).
By the time these appeared in print Wymer had been recruited to dig sites of later periods in Essex and then Norfolk. Although he had bought a house at Bildeston, Suffolk, he moved with his second wife, Mollie, to Great Cressingham in Norfolk and, between 1983 and 1990 worked for the Norfolk Archaeological Unit, investigating many sites at different periods.

From 1991 he began a project to relate every Palaeolithic discovery yet made in Britain to its relevant geological deposit, in order to construct an authoritative survey of the early presence of people in Britain.

The project was enormous, but in only six years Wymer had personally visited almost every site and significant museum collection in the country. The result was a series of detailed reports which could be used by mineral extraction companies and planners to tell them of the potential importance of different Quaternary sediments. In 1998 it was distilled into his two-volume study The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain.
Wymer was elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries in 1963 and of the BritishAcademy in 1996.

In his spare time, Wymer enjoyed blues and jazz, gardening and real ale; he was a supporter of CAMRA and a regular at his local pub where he cut the cheese in his ploughman’s lunch with an ancient flint knife.

John Wymer married first, in 1948, Pauline May.  The marriage was dissolved and he married secondly, in l976 Mollie (nee Spurling), who died in 1999 He is survived by two sons and three daughters of his first marriage. 

The Guardian,  Friday. 10th March, 2006
JOHN  JAMES WYMER, archaeologist, born 5th March 5 1928; died 10th February, 2006

Enthusiastic hunter of skulls, stone tools and the roots of history
In the mid-1930s, a dentist found two pieces of the same ancient human skull in the quarries at SwanscomBe, Kent. Twenty years later, John Wymer who has died aged 77, unearthed a new piece of the same skull which had, he said, the ‘consistency of wet soap’ At 400,000 years old, it remains the only pre-Neanderthal skull from Britain. Thus began Wymer’s career pursuing early human history, though he had started as a teenager with his father, a professional artist, who had been searching for palaeolithic flint handaxes in Kent for decades.
Wymer was born and brought up in Richmond, Surrey, and educated at East Sheen County School and Shoreditch Training College. After the Swanscombe find, he became Curator at Reading Museum, having worked as a journalist, a British Rail clerk and a teacher.  For 10 years he studied Reading’s handaxe collection and directed excavations at mesolithic hunter-gatherer camps in the Kennet valley. The most important was at Thatcham, where he recovered artefacts and animal bone refuse at a site used by generations of hunters.

His next excavations were in South Africa (1965-68).  At thesuggestion of the great palaeontologist Louis Leakey, Ronald Singer, of Chicago University, employed Wymer to direct work at Saldanha Bay and then at Klasies River Mouth, near Port Elizabeth. At a time of apartheid and widespread ignorance of the nation’s history, Singer was seeking to drive back the story of homo sapiens. At the Kiasies caves, Wymer found human fossils up to 110.000 years old with rich deposits of artefacts and animal remains, all indicative of what were then the world’s oldest modern humans.

Singer moved Wymer back to Britain to excavate already well-known palaeolithic sites, including those at Clacton. Essex and Hoxne, Suffolk. Then, after excavating in the 1980s for archaeological consultancies in Essex and Norfolk, in 1990 Wymer began a unique survey of the evidence for the country’s earliest humans. The importance of sites like Swanscombe, Clacton and Hoxne lies in pristine remains preserved in undisturbed geological deposits. Such cases are rare. A 1989 planning application to quarry a hill at Dunbridge. Hampshire, where more than 1.000 handaxes had been found, exposed general ignorance of the greater mass of unstratified tools.
A chastened English Heritage commissioned the Southern Rivers Palaeolithic Survey, with Wymer as project manager. After its successful completion in 1994 came the national English Rivers Palaeolithic Survey, while Cadw, the Welsh Assembly’s historic environment division, conducted a parallel study. Based near Salisbury, Wymer visited almost every known palaeolithic site. His comprehensive reports now inform research, and guide planning and development.

Wymer was efficient at publishing his excavations. Illustrating stone tools is a difficult task that demands proper understanding of the technology. He taught himself to knap flint, and made superb technical drawings. His first publication in Nature was about the Swanscombe find: last December, 50 years later, his drawings of the 700,000 old flint tools from Pakefield, Suffolk, illustrated another Nature contribution.

He was president of the Quaternary Research Association, vice-president of the Prehistoric Society and chair of the Lithic Studies Society. The Geological Society awarded him their Stopes medal. He was a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries and of the British Academy.
The drier paths of Wymer’s discipline and the rigours of fieldwork were dispensed with much humour. His mother had played piano to silent films, and he became an accomplished and entertaining blues pianist; he also played guitar. His love of real ales was famous. He is survived by three daughters and two sons from his first marriage. His second wife. Mollie, died in 1999.


February, 2006


'……..Mike Smith presented to the February meeting the talk prepared by David Catford, as a tribute to a much-appreciated member of the Society who had died just two weeks earlier.
Mike reminded us that David as a real local, having lived all his life in East Sheen, was ideally suited to taking us for a truly nostalgic walk along the Upper Richmond Road West.
David began at PriestsBridge, directing our imaginary walk to Sheen Lane on the North side, and then from Gilpin Avenue to Sheen Lane again on the South.

We stopped at every shop to hear David’s comments about the shopkeepers and their merchandise, reminding us of the days when we had a multiplicity of small family-owned shops, (grocers, greengrocers, bakers and butchers) before the era of the supermarket and restaurants offering cuisine from every part of the globe.

Only one of these shops serves the same purpose today as it did sixty years ago - the bakery now known as the Parish Bakery - but the Westminster and Midland Banks are still on their old sites, although under new names.

For those who do not know the Upper Richmond Road, there were reminders of what it was like to shop in wartime with long queues, the fiddling to cut out coupons or mark ration books, and the problems facing, for example, the butcher trying to cut a piece of meat to exactly the value of the weekly ration - which was one shilling and twopence at one time (roughly 6p. in today’s coinage).
Do you remember when you could buy sweets for half an old penny? And do you recall those overhead wire systems in the draper’s that catapulted your money and the bill in a metal box to the cashier, and returned your change?

Finally David recalled the Sheen Odeon, one of the 1930’s picture palaces, sadly demolished in 1960, to be replaced by Parkway House.

It was a very special occasion, and in effect a David Catford memorial evening. We shall remember him'
PETER POWRIE April, 2006
PETER WYMER (brother of John and father of Paul) May, 2006


June, 2006

After National Service Michael went to Balliol College, Oxford to read Geography and later qualified as a solicitor.   His step-father was also a solicitor.

Michael became a partner in the City firm Coward Chance where he specialised in advising large companies and multinationals.
He was a member of St. Peter's and St. John's Church and on the Kensington Deanery Synod.   He was also a trustee of the Church Urban Fund and of the Working Men's College and chaired the Management Committee and the Finance and General Purposes Committee.

He lived for many years in East London until he moved to Notting Hill seven years ago. 
Michael Mockridge

Pat Healy
Wednesday July 26, 2006
The Guardian

Michael Mockridge, who has died aged 70, was a lawyer with a passion for social causes. His voluntary work improved the lives of young people in the East End of London and brought recognition to the social history of older people in Kensington and Chelsea.
Son of Cyril, a printer, and Rose, Michael was educated at Shene grammar school and Balliol College, Oxford. He met his first wife, the author Penelope Farmer, at Oxford.

After completing national service, Michael followed his flamboyant stepfather "Tiger" Tim Taylor into the law firm Coward Chance in 1959, becoming a partner in 1967. He helped to negotiate the merger with Clifford Turner, to create Clifford Chance, now one of the biggest international law firms in the world. His work included leading the legal team that privatised the water industry on behalf of the then Department of the Environment.

He retired early in 1993 to spend time with his second family and pursue his passionate commitment to social causes through involvement with local and national charities. This passion had been awakened when he and several university friends had run a youth club at Dame Colet House Settlement in east London. Asked many legal questions by the club's young people, they started a legal advice centre. This later became the Stepney Green Law Centre, one of the earliest in Britain.

For many years Michael was executive chair of Dame Colet House, where he met his second wife, Olivia Dix, a charity worker with a particular interest in health. He resigned in the early 1990s after moving to Kensington, because he believed it should be run entirely by local people, but he continued to be involved in East End schemes.

Michael was a trustee of the Mental Health Foundation, the College of Health and the Working Men's College for Men and Women, and an independent chair hearing NHS complaints.

When he moved to Kensington and Chelsea, he became involved in two local charities - History Talk, a local history group which he chaired for several years, and Campden Charities, a grant-making trust with a brief to alleviate poverty in Kensington. For the Church of England he was a trustee of the Church Urban Fund, a member of the review of synodical government and of the local deanery synod and parochial church council.

A modest man, Michael worked hard and unobtrusively, making full use of his legal and negotiating skills and showing infinite courtesy, patience and good humour. His colleagues at History Talk regarded him as "a perfect gent".

His is survived by his wife and their daughter Hannah; by Clare and Thomas, his children from his first marriage; and by three grandchildren.

An e-mail to the Editor from Trevor Griffiths, a Shene contemporary of Michael Mockridge:

Many thanks for your email.  Strangely, I was only thinking about Michael Mockridge a few minutes earlier.  I had been listening to the Radio Four programme about techniques for developing a good memory, and remembered that once I was understudying Mockridge for a school play and he was off sick so I spent one evening learning the part.  (I would tell my tutees about it and my method sometimes when they said how difficult it was to learn chemistry!)  The next day, when I was confident I knew the part, I was told by the master in charge (Mr White?) that Mockridge was better and would be back in time for the performance.  Thus was my thespian opportunity quenched!

Michael Mockridge is yet another of Shene Grammar School's products who has led a productive and honourable life, and I am glad to have known him, and to find out what he did after he left school.
JOE CAIRA September, 2006
TOM TOWNDROW ex East Sheen County School, September, 2006

The following appeared in the Barnes and District History Society magazine:

A remarkable local link with the Dunkirk evacuation was recalled with the death on September 4th, 2006 of Tom Towndrow aged 91.   Thomas Austin Towndrow was born at Barnes on October 6th and from East Sheen County School he joined the staff of Barnes Urban District Council.   He also enlisted with 1st Mortlake Sea Scouts and was immediately involved in refitting the scouts 'former Naval steam pinnace, the 45-foot Minotaur.   He became her skipper and by 1940 was Senior Scout Leader at Mortlake.
When a quarter of a million British troops plus French units sought to evacuate Dunkirk on May 26th of that year the Admiralty called for every seaworthy craft to cross the Channel and help the rescue.   Towndrow skippered Minotaur with a Sea Scout crew down the Thames to Southend and then Ramsgate.   Placed under Naval control, she took on stores and fuel - and two ratings with .303 rifles and 600 rounds of ammunition to counter German dive-bombers and E-boats.

Minotaur made the initial Channel crossing safely and over the next few days Towndrow piloted her on numerous voyages to the foreshore West of Dunkirk, ferrying exausted soldiers from shallow water out to bigger transports and destroyers as well as towing small boats.

The hard-worked engine began to fade and, with fuel running low, Towndrow decided to embark a final batch of French Troops with the plan of getting them back to England if his gallant craft could manage the distance.   A trawler relieved him of his passengers and Minotaur, despite her engine problems, was able to make port having played a part in evacuating 338,000 troops.   The Admiralty had believed little better than 45,000 could be saved.

Minotaur was patched up and transferred to coastal patrol while Towndrow was commissioned into the RNVR spending much of the remainder of the War as a liaison officer with the Free French Navy.

One posting was with the submarine La Sultan based at Oran in Algeria and he was awarded the Croix de Guerre for his services which included his part in landing agents in Occupied France.
After the War Towndrow returned to local government settling at Bexley and qualifying as a solicitor.   He held posts at Maidenhead and Windsor and finally became Town Clerk at Frome in Somerset.

He retired to Lymington, Hampshire where he was active in the local Sailing Club and the Sea Scouts unit.
Editor's Note:   Tom's photograph appears in the Photo Gallery under Familiar Faces, Part 6
ROY SMITH ex Richmond County School, 2006
BOB BULLARD ex-teacher February, 2007
JOHN ROBSON June, 2007
ROB VAUGHAN July, 2007

Alan Morgan

I was Rob's Vice-Captain when he was School Captain in 1959. He was a great footballer and tried valiantly to encourage me, but when "Plug" Rawlings introduced the oval ball I realised that rugby union/scrum-half was my forte! I recall that Rob was always top in German (a language I never came to terms with).   Even at that relatively tender age I accepted that he was too good for me, and most of the others in our year group, at this particular subject - and a few other subjects, I seem to recall......and so it is interesting, but not surprising, that he was living in that country.

Albert John Richardson (Taffy)....... I would not say that I knew Rob well but I always liked meeting him,  he was always so friendly and above all knew who I was.  We cannot afford to lose too many old boys of his calibre,  especially the younger ones

Jeremy Chapman...........Rob was my first cricket captain and also school captain in my second year at school in 1958-59. An absolute cat of a goalkeeper, the best I ever saw at that level, who represented the county, and equally agile as a fielder at cricket. (had to be good at something as he never made more than ten runs and didn't bowl).

A first-class linguist and a most interesting man who always had time for you, a good human being and a good companion, which made him a fine school captain. He was not in my year so, outside the cricket and my support for the football team (both school and county), I never got to know him closely but he is remembered with great affection and admiration. A most tremendous credit to Shene Grammar.

David Wright......... We both lived in Palmerston Road.  I remember him mostly because he used to play goalkeeper in the 1st XI, although I didn't know him particularly well.   It is very sad to hear of his passing. 

David Hackett....................My principal memories of Rob were playing football together for the Old Boys, where he was, of course the goalkeeper whose height would dominate the goal area.
One dark January, Saturday afternoon, Rob conceded an unlikely goal scored by yours truly. It was pouring with rain, we were ankle deep in mud and from somewhere near the halfway line I decided that a pass back to the goalkeeper was safer than trying to turn round in the gluepot and punt the ball upfield. I connected rather well but found, to my dismay, that Rob was propping up a post trying to keep dry, or warm. He had hardly moved before the ball entered the net. Fortunately we won the game........

Ken Waring..........I always will remember Rob’s fearless goal keeping exploits...too fearless sometimes.   Rob challenged for a ball under the crossbar, jumped too high and pretty well knocked himself out on the crossbar. I think the match may have been 1st XI v staff.

Peter Flewitt.............   Rob's brother, John Vaughan and I were good mates in our latter school days and for a few years after, until he went to work in Germany.   Rob, of course, was a few years older than us so he moved in a different social circle, other than after soccer on a Saturday, so I can't really offer any anecdotes other than my memories of an Easter Tour to Germany, meticulously planned and run by him with a bunch of unruly teenage 16-50 year olds such as Bloxham, Harlow and I think Jeffs which he ran in his trademark calm and good humoured manner. I'll leave the real stories to others better placed..............
..........but, to use an Aussie expression, I'll bet London to a brick that you'll have a hard job finding anybody with a harsh word about him and, to use another one that's about as high praise as any Aussie ever gives, a real good bloke. Even from half way round the world and almost 40 years away he'll be missed.

Brian Roddis..................I remember Rob as a very affable, gentle giant of a man - and a damned good goalkeeper to boot. As I'm sure many others will also recall, Rob organised the groundbreaking Old Boys tour to Czechoslovakia in the mid-60s - a tour which I was lucky enough to take part in.
Richard Jones...............I remember Rob as our first School Captain at a time when the prefects were feared and respected - not sure it quite carried through to when we became prefects.  My next contact was after I left School and joined the OB Rugby
Club.  Rob kept goal for the Old Boys and we crossed paths after soccer and rugby games.

My last contact was just three months ago at the Reunion and his passing is a shock.

Brian Susman...................My memory of Rob is as a gentle giant in the school 1st football XI in about 1957 when the team went through a full season with a 100% record.  In later years, he became a goalkeeper, progressing, I believe, to the likes of Kingstonian but in the school team, he played more often at right back.  He was a big lad even then.

Indeed the defence as a whole frightened the opposition when we ran out on the field that season.  As well as Rob at right back, standing about 6ft 2ins, we had John Corby at centre half (football teams were in 2-3-5 formation in those days!) who was 6ft 4ins at 14, as I recall, and myself at left back at 6ft 5ins.  Little wonder that the opposition forward line didn't want to know...!

Nick Crisp.....................Sorry to hear about Rob - easily the tallest goalkeeper I've ever played with.........!

Michael Collett.................... Rob was a few years after me at school, but I do remember our visit to Germany and Holland for a couple of friendly football matches when Rob was our "representative" and made a speech at one of the dinners being the only one of us courageous enough to speak German in public.

The fact that he was in Germany so recently suggests to me that his German was somewhat more advanced than I had realised.

Len Timms..................Taffy,  Very, very sad to get your message re Rob. I used to see him a lot at Craven Cottage in the Press Box. He was also the goalkeeper for the OG's when they beat Ham FC, so I will never live that down!

This Obituary appeared in the Sports Section of the Kingston Leader newspaper on 18th October, 2007..........
The description of "one of nature's gentlemen" is vastly overused but, in the case of Bob Vaughan, World Soccer's eastern European correspondent for years, is amply justified.
Bob, who has died aged 67, extended his original boyhood devotion to football to a playing peak as a goalkeeper with Kingstonian FC but his "real" career led him into education and ultimately to a role with the British Institute in Vienna, which with his command of German, opened doors for him throughout central Europe.

Later he turned to sports journalism as a means of pursuing his love of football and began writing for World Soccer in the 1970s.
For well over a decade his insight into not only eastern European football but also its cultural and political context made him unique among the region's commentators and observers.
The subsequent coincidence of retirement and reunification took Bob back to Germany and a new home in Berlin, where he died suddenly.

My last memory of Bob was seeing him edge his way seamlessly through the media scrum at this year's Champions League Final in Athens; that was Bob Vaughan - not only one of nature's gentlemen but also, to summon up another cliché that would have prompted an appropriate smile, a gentle giant.

Alan Wicks....................Your e-mail (Memorial Service) about RV came as a little surprise, because that was the first I had heard about his death. Maybe I missed an earlier e-mail, but I doubt it. Remember, Taffy that I don't have any internet facility here.

Anyway, how sad for one so young. I spoke to Allan Ward and to Rick Emptage to see if they knew any details - all that Rick could tell was the content of an obituary in The Times...'after a short illness'. Rob and I had spoken at length at London Welsh so recently. His inspiration and leadership made many many consecutive Easters on the Continent so memorable (despite the drubbings that we invariably received at the hands of the Hun). Also France, Holland and Czechoslovakia had been on the itineraries.

This took place at Christ Church, East Sheen on November 13th, 2007 at noon and was attended by the following Old Boys, among others:  Alan Bloxham, Derek Carr, Hugh Coulston, Bob Cullen, John Curry, Rick Emptage, Terry Gazzard, Peter Godfrey, Sid Lines, Russell Nimmo, Jack Parker, Peter Penney, Morgan Reynolds, David Richardson, John Simpson, Edward Steers, Len Timms and Mike Turner.

Tributes were paid by Russell Nimmo, Bob Cullen and Alan Bloxham.

Prayers were said by Edward Steers who is the Parish Reader at Christ Church


July, 2007

Roger had been in hospital several times since he assisted with the arrangements for Reunion 2006 and during this period had displayed great fortitude and determination.   His funeral at Putney Vale Crematorium was attended by Old Boys, Harry Purchase, Hugh Coulston (both ex business associates) and David Richardson

Roger's memoirs can be seen on the 1950s intake page


via Colin Winger..............Audrey Parker passed away in Spain where she had lived for many years. 

Audrey will be well remembered by Old Grammarian footballers of the 1950s.  Audrey and Beryl Netherway were a much valued part of Tony Pitman's Queens Road after-match refreshment team...........
GEORGE ROME HALL September, 2007

JACK McENERY October, 2007

PETER COGGINS December, 2007

BRIAN (CHAS) THORNE December, 2007


November, 2007

Dennis Keene: Poet and translator

Obituary published in 'The Independent' on Tuesday, 26 February 2008

Dennis Keene was a man of literature through and through. He wrote poetry and wrote about poetry; he read English literature voraciously and lectured on it; he wrote articles and books on Japanese literature and used much of his creative talent translating it. In 1991 his translation of Maruya Saiichi's Rain in the Wind was given a Special Award by the judges of the first Independent Award for Foreign Fiction.

This collection of four stories ranges from action to contemplation of nature to intellectual detective work, and the judges praised Keene's success in "encompassing the lyrical and the demotic with equal ease". He was an exemplary translator, humble before his author but always ensuring that the completed work was a creative whole. He had that rare gift among translators of being able to stay close to the changing moods and rhythms of the original but at the same time give the reader the satisfaction of having read a novel rather than a translated novel; maybe this was because Keene was a close friend of both his principal authors, Kita Morio and Maruya Saiichi; maybe it was because he both loved the literature he was translating and loved to be writing literature himself.

Dennis Keene was born in 1934 and grew up in Richmond, Surrey, where he attended Richmond and East Sheen County Grammar School for Boys. While there, at the age of 16, he first encountered the poetry of Arthur Rimbaud and was overwhelmed by the universality of its reference, a prose poem on the way a child experiences death bringing back memories of the loss of the family dog eight years previously. It was here also that he first met the future scholar and critic John Carey and they remained lifelong friends, later going to Oxford together.

At Oxford, Keene read English Language and Literature at St John's College and immersed himself in extracurricular poetry. With Peter Ferguson he became joint editor of Oxford Poetry, the literary journal whose editors have included Robert Graves, Anthony Thwaite and John Fuller. After Oxford he became a British Council lecturer in Singapore and Malaysia, but a turning point in his life came when he was appointed Lecturer in English Language and Literature at Kyoto University in 1961. He met his future wife Keiko in Kyoto and they were married there in 1962. Japan was now firmly a part of his life.

After a year at Haile Selassie I University in Addis Ababa, during which Dennis and Keiko unsuccessfully tried to find Rimbaud's house in Harar, there came another job in Japan and another turning point in Keene's life: a lectureship in English Literature at Kyushu University in Fukuoka.

Here a chance visit to a bookseller on the way to the dentist yielded the prize of the novel Ghosts by Kita Morio and the start of Keene's love affair with Japanese literature. His translation of Ghosts won a real prize some 20 years later (the Noma Prize for the Translation of Japanese Literature in 1992). This novel, which follows a boy's growing awareness of his own sexuality in an atmosphere saturated by natural references, was a revelation to Keene, who compared his response to what he felt when reading Rimbaud and Proust.

For this love affair to mature Keene felt he had to return to Oxford and write a doctoral thesis on Japanese literature. I was appointed his supervisor. Dennis's namesake, Donald Keene, the leading Western scholar of Japanese literature, once asked me what it was like supervising Dennis Keene. I described my task as restraining genius. I would spend hours listening in awe to this pupil, as he produced insight after insight from his by now encyclopaedic knowledge of modern Japanese novels. My only function was to help him channel these into a mould that was acceptable for an academic thesis. He was later, in 1980, to publish two impressive books, a monograph on the subject of his thesis, Yokomitsu Riichi: modernist, and an anthology, The Modern Japanese Prose Poem.

During this period Keene also published two books of poetry with Carcanet: Surviving (1980) and Universe and Other Poems (1984). In the note that Keene adds to Surviving he supposes that "the poems remain essentially symbolist". But "the reader will find the language ordinary". Ordinary yes, but brimming with the emotions that he felt so strongly – for example, these lines from "Burdens", about the death of a (his?) mother's brother in the First World War:

Did not go out. Her brother (uncle) did,
But nothing clearly him nor his came back.

Apart from a brief period as a full-time writer and translator in the UK, the last 20 years of Dennis Keene's career were spent in Tokyo as a professor at the prestigious Japan Women's University. After retirement in 1993 he and Keiko returned to Britain, where their daughter Shima was living. Dennis continued writing and translating; Keiko, a ballet and dance critic, was writing by his side. This settled suburban life in Oxford came to an end in 2007 with the onset of the disease that finally took his life.

Brian Powell

Dennis Keene, scholar, poet and translator: born London 10 July 1934; Lecturer in English Language and Literature, Kyoto University 1961-63; Professor in English Literature, Haile Selassie I University, Addis Ababa 1964-65; Lecturer in English Literature, Kyushu University 1965-69; Assistant Professor of English Literature, Japan Women's University, Tokyo 1970-76, Professor 1976-81, 1984-93; Part-time Lecturer in English Literature, Tokyo Metropolitan University 1978-79, 1987-88; married 1962 Keiko Kurose (one daughter); died Oxford 30 November 2007.


January, 2008

Obituary by Roger Smith

Roy was born in 1931 and was a pupil at Richmond & East Sheen County Grammar School until in or about 1947/8 when he left school and became a trainee with Barclays Bank.    Apparently one of his first jobs was in Brentford and involved counting the cash amounts paid into the Bank by Brentford Football Club.     With attendances at Grffin Park in those days frequently over 30,000 that was clearly no small task!

I first met Roy in the early to mid 1970s when a client of my law firm took delight in introducing me to his bank manager, Roy Leaver   By then Roy was the manager of the Westcombe Park Branch of Barclays Bank and it did not take many minutes to discover at that first meeting that Roy had grown up just off the Upper Richmond Road in East Sheen and had been a pupil at the School.

From Westcombe Park Roy moved to be the manager of the Sutton Branch of Barclays Bank and eventually took early retirement in the mid 1980s to run a pig farm near Ashford, Kent with his two sons - a venture that seems to have been unsuccessful on account of the changing market conditions within the EEC.

The pig farm land was sold during the 1990s for residential development and Roy and his wife, Margaret, moved a few years ago to Wells in Somerset where Roy lived out his last few years, becoming a victim of Alzheimer's Disease several years ago.

Roy was a friendly, outgoing man who in later years became a staunch member of the Baptist Church.   He leaves a widow, Margaret, to whom he had been married for more than 51 years, four children and a number of grandchildren.   It was a pleasure to have known him.


January 2008

Obituary Published in The Daily Telegraph 27th February, 2008

Sir John Hill, who has died aged 86, was the leader of the British nuclear industry as chairman of the UK Atomic Energy Authority and of two of its commercial offshoots, British Nuclear Fuels and Amersham International.

Sir John Hill: far too many ostriches think that Britain can live on a buried treasure of fossil fuel

Hill's appointment to run the AEA - by Tony Benn when he was minister of technology in 1967 - marked a shift in the prime focus of the British nuclear industry from the creation of weapons of deterrence to the commercialisation of nuclear power.

Hill's predecessor, the distinguished scientist Lord Penney, had worked on the first atomic bomb at Los Alamos and had run the Aldermaston weapons research establishment.

Hill was also a physicist by background, but came to the AEA chair at the age of 46 with the reputation of a modern businessman and top-class man-manager who had made a notable success of the production and reprocessing of nuclear fuels at AEA sites such as Windscale, in Cumbria, and Capenhurst in Cheshire.

The profitable fuels business was hived off into a new company, British Nuclear Fuels, in 1971, with Hill as its chairman.

The smaller radiochemical research arm of the authority was also turned into a stand-alone business and became, as Amersham International, one of the first state entities to be successfully privatised by Margaret Thatcher's government in 1982; again Hill was chairman, a post he held until 1988.

In its central role of leading the development of British nuclear power generation, however, the AEA was caught in interminable political wrangles throughout Hill's tenure, which ended in 1980.
The argument boiled down to a choice between steam-generating heavy water reactors (of which Dounreay was the forerunner and in which British manufacturers claimed a world lead) and pressurised water reactors designed by Westinghouse Corporation of America.
Progress towards a new generation of British-designed and built nuclear plants had stalled by 1974, when Hill and other industry leaders supported a switch to the American design - but Lord Carrington, Edward Heath's energy minister, held out in favour of buying British. Labour returned to power shortly afterwards, and Tony Benn also argued against the American design.
But Hill reconfirmed his view in a report to Benn in 1976, in which he argued that the increased availability of natural gas as a power source, and the rising projected cost of the British reactors, made the original programme uneconomic. The net result was that no new nuclear power stations were built until after Hill's time - when Sizewell, with a Westinghouse reactor, went ahead in the early 1980s.

Throughout these debates Hill treated the views of his opponents with patience and respect. But he defended his industry vehemently against those who, on grounds of safety, opposed it in its entirety. There were, he declared in 1979, "far too many ostriches" who believed that Britain could continue to live on "a buried treasure of fossil fuel".

On the especially sensitive issue of the disposal of nuclear waste, he said that the industry itself, by seeking perfection, had led the public to believe the problem to be worse than it really was: "To say in one breath that [nuclear waste] is not dangerous but that we want to bury it 1,000 feet deep does not sound convincing. Our own caution leads to disbelief."

John McGregor Hill was born in Chester on February 21 1921, the son of a schools' inspector. The family moved to Richmond-upon-Thames, where he went to school; he took a First in Physics at King's College, London, in two years, before serving in the RAF from 1941 to 1946 as an officer in the radar branch.

He returned to academe to take a doctorate at St John's College, Cambridge, working in the Cavendish Laboratory, and subsequently to teach Physics at London University.

In 1950 Hill joined what was then the department of atomic energy in the Ministry of Supply, and took up his first appointment at Windscale.

After the formation of the Atomic Energy Authority in 1954 he was its assistant director of technical policy, based at Risley in Lancashire; he became technical director and subsequently managing director of its production group, and became a member of the authority in 1964.

After leaving the AEA, Hill was chairman of Aurora Holdings, a Sheffield-based engineering group, and of Rea Brothers, a City investment firm. He was president of the British Nuclear Forum from 1984 to 1992.

Hill was knighted in 1969. He received the Melchett Medal of the Institute of Energy in 1974 and was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1981.

A keen golfer, he was captain and president of the Royal Mid-Surrey club.

Sir John Hill, who died on January 14, married, in 1947, Nora Hellett; they had two sons and a daughter.


March, 2008

Lionel Timmins wrote on 9th March, 2008 to David Richardson..............."I am sorry to advise you of the death of Ian G Gibbons.   He was two years younger than me so that we never knew each other during our school days.   We met when we were both in our early twenties and have remained friends ever since.   Between 1948 and 1958 we jointly ran the Senior Scout section of the 2nd. Mortlake Scout group, camping in France and Switzerland amongst many other activities.

He died peacefully yesterday, Monday 10th March 2008."


April, 2008

A letter dated 16th September, 2008 to David Richardson from Robert's son, Oliver reads:   My father, Bob died at Windward Nursing Home, Dartmouth, Devon from prostate cancer.   He had been at the Nursing Home for just under a year where he had very good care.

He read a book a day and played a masterful game of Backgammon right up to the last.

My brother Alexander and I had been visiting him for extended periods for a couple of years and have had many wonderful conversations with him about his life and early  days.

He often mentioned his time at Richmond & East Sheen County Grammar School For Boys, his friends and what a good education he received there.


Obituary in the Barnes & District History Society Newsletter September, 2008

Doug Hellings was a familiar figure at our Society's meetings for many years, often bringing an envelope of clippings, programmes, sports records or other items to share with members.

Doug spent his life at East Sheen, moving only once from Sutherland Gardens to The Willoughbys until his wife's health forced a move to Brook Court,   Educated at East Sheen Primary and Shene Grammar School, he was a choirboy at Mortlake Parish Church, singing at All Saints when the future Queen Mother laid the first stone in 1928.   An enthusiastic sportsman, Doug played football and cricket.   He worked his way up the career ladder from walking brewer George Mann's greyhound to become Bottling and Distribution Manager at Watney's, proud that he never missed a day's work.

Doug served with the 60th City of London HAA Regiment and escaped at Dunkirk surviving shrapnel which lodged in his helmet leaving him unconscious.   He returned to serve in Normandy and Germany. 

Family and local history became a major interest in later years and a favourite recreation was to sit outside the Prince's Head on Richmond Green ready to tell anyone who stopped his memories of the district and the history of the Green.

GEOFF GIBBINS Summer, 2008


Taught at Sheen: 1949-1957

also see separate entry under News

Dennis Chisman’s whole career was devoted to the promotion of science education.  He graduated from King’s College London in 1948 and obtained a Postgraduate Certificate in Education in 1949.

He joined the Richmond and EastSheenGrammar School in September 1949 as Head of the Science Department at the very early age of 21.  He taught at our school until 1957, when he left to join the Royal Institute of Chemistry (later to become the Royal Society of Chemistry) as its first Education Officer.  He also became Secretary of the British Committee on Chemical Education.

He joined the British Council in 1966 as a Science Education Officer and later that year was seconded to the Centre for Curriculum Renewal and Educational Development Overseas  as Assistant Director of Science Education.  In 1974 he returned to the Council and became Head of Science and Mathematics Education Unit.  In October 1975 he was appointed Director of Schools and Education Department, and served in that post until 1981 when he took early retirement. After this he became an independent consultant in science education and continued to be involved in science education projects overseas, particularly in developing countries, until his last year.

As well as overseas development work under the auspices of UNESCO, he was a key member of the International Council of Associations of Science Education and also of the Commonwealth Association of Science Technology and Mathematics Education (CASTME).  He served on the Council of the latter for 30 years from 1974, and was its Secretary.

He remained an active member of the Royal Society of Chemistry at both national and local levels.  By now living in West Sussex, he served as an active chairman of his local section, which covers much of the southern counties.  This was from 2005 until 2007 when he was approaching 80.  He joked that he was being “recycled”.  At one of the annual dinners, he spoke fondly of his time as a schoolteacher.

Academically gifted, he was also  a very good teacher at all levels  and helped a number of boys to obtain university scholarships  and state scholarships. Looking back it is difficult to believe that he was still barely 30 when he left the school.  Certainly, those he taught at Sheen and who found careers based on Chemistry realise just how lucky they were to have had him even for a short time at the school.
DAVID HUCKLE September, 2008

JACK BUCKERFIELD September, 2008

Rev RICHARD BOAZ November, 2008

Richard died peacefully in his sleep at Owen Sound, Canada on 9th November.   One of his favourite prayers was also his approach to life in general:   'For what we are about to receive, may the Lord make us truly grateful and makes us ever mindful of the needs of others'

Peter Sealby writes:   Peter was at Sheen from 1941 to 1947 at the same time as myself.   We were to meet again in the British West Indies in Trinidad and his form-mates might be as surprised as myself to know that he supervised the fields of a sugar plantation on horse-back in his capacity as an overseer.   A tough job...... Richard was a twin and was born first making him the elder of his brother David. but as they were born in the British Embassy in Paris French law determined that David would be the elder.   My wife and myself were truly sad that we lost touch with Richard I am certain that Richard would have been a fine priest


December, 2008

Freddy died on Christmas Day having been ill for a large part of 2008.   He passed away peacefully in a Hove nursing home after having undergone two operations.   The funeral was at St. John's Church, Palmeira Square, Hove on 22nd January 2009 and was followed by a private committal at the crematorium the following day.   He had requested that no flowers were to be sent but wished that donations be made to his favourite charity, Shrewsbury House which is sponsored by Shrewsbury School which works with disadvantaged young people in Liverpool.   Notices of his death appeared in The Times, The Daily Telegraph and the Brighton Argus on 6th January 2009.
D.R. (BOB) CHAMBERS February, 2009

BRIAN CANN April, 2009


GERRY FORSE July, 2009


ROY WILSON October, 2009


DOUGLAS MILL 2009 (Richmond County then R & E Sheen Head Boy)

DAVID WINGATE January 2010

ERNIE PRIEST February, 2010

LIONEL PARKER February, 2010

DERRICK COLE March, 2010




JEFF RISK August, 2010

Announcement on Daily Telegraph  website 29th August, 2010

Jeffrey Richard of Newdigate, Surrey, died peacefully on 26th August 2010, aged 63. Dearly beloved husband of Vivien and greatly loved father of Lizzy and Melanie. Private Cremation followed by a Memorial Service at St Peter's Church, Newdigate on Friday 3rd September at 12.30 p.m. Everyone welcome. No flowers please, but donations, if wished, for St Catherine's Hospice may be sent to Sherlock Funeral Service, Trellis House, Dorking, RH4 2ES.

​JOHN WORTH (c 1939 intake) August, 2010

John had a career mainly in engineering. He worked for Rolls Royce at Derby for many years and was a member of the team who designed the fan blades for their jet engines. He also made clocks in his spare time and enjoyed anything mechanical. For most of his life, he lived in theNewark-on-Trent area of Nottinghamshire and was married to Isabel, a successful and respected local primary school headteacher until her retirement several years ago.

Editor's Note:   John contributed a very interesting article to the BBC's WW2 archive in 1995.   It can be seen on the Intakes 1925-39 page.


Brian died of a brain tumour in July.  He went to Shene in the 1948 intake and was to become a Quaker.  For many years he worked as the warden at Quaker House near Euston Station.  In his later years he lived in France after the tumour had been diagnosed.   
TED BURTON September, 2012

Ted Burton was head of Emmbrook for 14 years
Former colleagues, family and friends remembered a much-loved and respected headteacher of a Wokingham secondary school.
Sports enthusiast Edward Burton, known as Ted, was headteacher of The Emmbrook School for 14 years until he retired in 1997.
Mr Burton, 72, died on Thursday, September 27, after a long illness. He leaves his wife Hilary, two children and five grandchildren.

Paying tribute during his funeral at St John’s Church, in Crowthorne, on Thursday, Mr Burton’s former deputy head at The Emmbrook, Graham Dyer, said: “Emmbrook School grew into a very successful comprehensive school under his leadership.
“There can be no doubt that Ted loved his work. His colleagues in neighbouring Berkshire schools respected him. I once heard Ted described as a ‘truly professional human being’.
“He took pride, not just in the school as a whole, but the people who worked there.

“Ted firmly believed every child had a talent and the role of the school was to nurture that talent.”

Mr Burton was born in Essex and met his wife while studying at Queen Mary College in London.

He began his teaching career as a history and PE teacher in south-west London before moving to St Bartholomew’s School in Newbury and then to The Emmbrook, in Emmbrook Road.
The Reverend Lawrence Stevens, a colleague of Mr Burton’s at St Bartholomew’s School, where he joined as second master in 1975, said: “He had a very significant role shaping the new school.
“As a deputy head he brought order and a much-needed meticulous approach.

“Ted was a fantastic history teacher with detailed knowledge of his subject and a particular interest in Ireland in the 1920s.”
He continued: “I was so very grateful for his help when I joined St Barts as school chaplain and head of RE.

“In many ways those who served with him at that time regard them as the golden years and we are grateful for them and Ted’s part in our lives.”

Mr Burton was struck down by a near-fatal illness in 1988, which remained undiagnosed for four months, and he was off school for a term and a half.

His condition developed into rheumatoid arthritis.

Paying tribute, Mr Burton’s son Andrew said: “Dad loved sport until his dying day. First doing it, and then increasingly watching it.
“Dad loved people. As a headmaster he spent a lot of time dealing with people from all walks of life.”

He added: “He has not left us completely. He lives on in our memories and our hearts.

“My son said ‘Grandad was never able to make it along to cricket practice, but this Sunday he will be there to watch.”

Reading a eulogy Reverend Lisa Cornwell said: “Ted will be remembered as a proud father, affectionate father-in-law, grandfather and as a friend to many.”

Ted Burton was head of Emmbrook for 14 years

DENNIS ELLIOTT deceased prior to 2008

RAY ARGENT March, 2012

A note from Ray's daughter, Susan........'I am writing to inform you of the death of my father Raymond Argent. 

Ray passed away on 24th March, 2012 whilst on a break to the Isle of Wight;   the cause of death was acute and chronic heart failure.   Ray became ill one evening and passed away early the following morning.   Although Ray had suffered a few health problems in the year or so prior to this his very sudden death was a complete shock to all of us and was totally unexpected

My father always looked forward to the Shene Old Boys reunions and was always so full of news and stories from these events.   After a reunion he was always eager to look at the website to view the photographs and reporting of the event.'

HARRY ABBETT April, 2012

JOHN (ARCHIE) HARRIS February, 2013

ANDREW CRISP March, 2012

PAUL WINTER (Master), date unknown


JOHN CURRIE aged 91, May, 2013

B. JOHN PERRY May 2013

John Perry was a physicist and much involved in the early days of CT scanners.   A laboratory at St. George's Healthcare, London is named after him.
PETER FLEWITT October, 2013

Peter Flewitt died on Saturday,12 October, in Lismore Base Hospital New South Wales.

John Vaughan was informed of his death by his cousin Billie shortly after John  had been visiting Peter in Yamba where he had become ill, and admitted first, to nearby Maclean hospital, and then to Lismore.

Peter and John had kept in touch regularly in recent years and John had met him together with Don McIntyre in 2010 in Sydney.   Peter had become a 'grey nomad' travelling the length and breadth of Australia in his trailer where he had numerous cousins and family connections. He continued to keep in touch over the internet with many friends and former old boys on his cricketing and football interests (John and Peter shared an interest in Fulham), as well as adding his own sometimes caustic spin on the world. His e-mails to his Shene connections in the UK made it clear that he had a wicked sense of humour and his passing is a sad loss to the Shene fraternity.

 Peter had double hip dysplasia from birth. Unfortunately it wasn't picked up early enough to avoid 5 years in hospital in a cast. In those days the treatment was pretty rudimentary; he was lucky to be able to walk at all.  To add insult to injury he was involved in a major traffic smash later in life and he suffered a broken pelvis with right sided hip involvement. This happened prior to emigrating to Australia.Wear and tear and arthritis were a real curse for him.
His ashes have been scattered in Adelaide and Perth and a further scattering is planned at Kew Cricket Club in 2015.

Dr Paul Hudson (now in Melbourne, Australia)...............
For 7 years I was at Shene Grammar Schoo lwith Pete and the teenager who used to drink beer with me atRichmondpubs whilst playing snooker was very polite and quite introvert.  I introduced him to the Richmond YHA Club in 1963 and we were frequently at Craven Cottage to watch Fulham FC with others from Shene.   The social life and cycling weekends were a very happy time as evidenced by some of his later emails.
I lost touch with Pete after leaving school and going to University, only to find him again 42 years later in 2007 inAustraliawhere I had moved several years before him. The Pete I then found, had a rare and wonderful gift of biting humour - sarcastic, ironic, irreverent and so imaginative, honed no doubt by the intake of various alcoholic beverages. His emails were treasures to behold and often had me in fits of uncontrollable laughter. 
He had a tough early life in many respects and unfortunately the world was often not as he would have wished it, but probably this very curmudgeonly outlook was responsible for the rare humorous talent that he developed.    I miss him.   

An e-mail to David Richardson from Richard Jones in Wilson's Promontory,Gyppsland, Victoria, Australia:
Great shock to read of Pete’s recent death.  As the third of the 1958 ex-pat Aussies, my memories of Pete go back to his support for the OBs’ soccer club.  Whilst we played rugby at Barn Elms in front of crowds that could be counted on one hand and often not even that, Pete could always be relied on to be supporting the soccer club, rain, hail or shine.

Interesting reading Paul’s selection of Pete’s emails – he had a interesting sense of humour and some very accurate comments on life in Australia – and his last message reflected that.  For many years I read his comments on the Fulham Football Club supporters website – always provocative and, despite the distance between Australia and Craven Cottage, always intelligent, unlike much that appears on the site.  And he could spell which would have been a pleasure for the likes of Snowy White and our other English teachers.  He copped a lot of abuse from other contributors on the site for his views and left the site late last year,.  He would be sorry to read of the Club’s current position.
I never got to meet Pete in Australia – other side of the continent, but I’m sorry to hear he’s gone – one of the good guys.

ALAN ROGERS, October, 2013

JOHN COWARD, November, 2013
John Coward , who has died aged 88, was chief executive of the Notting Hill Housing Trust and a pioneer of shared ownership — a form of housing tenure in which a person buys a share in their home even if they cannot afford a mortgage on the whole value.
Coward joined the Trust in 1965, two years after its foundation by the Reverend Bruce Kenrick, a Presbyterian minister who would later found the homelessness charity Shelter.
The Notting Hill of the 1960s was not the location of second-hand bookshops, smart delicatessens, hip restaurants and seven- (or even eight-) figure house prices that it has become, but a mostly rundown corner of west London, notorious for race riots and the activities of the slum landlordPeterRachman.
Much of the area was populated by people — including many poor immigrants from the Caribbean — who were forced to live in crumbling, overcrowded accommodation. A survey in 1967 found that population density in the area was twice that of the borough of Kensington as a whole, and one of the highest in London; nearly half of all children lived in overcrowded conditions and 70 per cent of households shared, or had no access to, a bath or shower.
The Trust raised funds from the public to buy dilapidated properties at auction. By renovating these houses to provide decent, affordable rented housing, it was pivotal in preventing poor residents being pushed out of the area. When Coward joined as the Trust’s first paid executive it had five properties. When he retired 21 years later as chief executive, it was managing almost 8,000.
Related Articles
The Rev Bruce Kenrick
19 Jan 2007
Nine hundred of these were purchased under shared ownership arrangements, and it was Coward who pioneered the concept. Working with government and building societies, he launched the first “shared equity” or “community leasehold” schemes in the country. The first property to be sold in this way was at 88 Ladbroke Grove, and a team at the Housing Trust was established to develop the idea further. There are now an estimated 145,000 shared ownership properties in England alone.
John Coward was born on December 20 1924 in Cardiff. After education at Sheen Grammar School he served in the Signals Corps in India during the war, maintaining military communications from forts on the North-West Frontier, where he learned Urdu from Indian comrades.
He returned to England in 1947, just before Partition, and joined Hammersmith Council as General Assistant. After studying for housing exams he joined Richmond Council, where he remained until he moved to the Notting Hill Housing Trust.
Coward built strong relationships with people at all levels . As well as his work in Notting Hill, he served in the 1960s as a member of the Shelter board of trustees, and as a member of the National Federation of Housing Associations’ council and as chairman of its housing improvement committee, where he pressed for improved subsidy arrangements which were eventually incorporated in the 1974 Housing Act.
He was also a founder member of the London Housing Associations Committee and founding chairman of the United Housing Trust.
In the 1970s he became a founder member of the Family Housing Association, a member of the government’s Central Housing Policy Review Advisory Group and was appointed to the board of the Housing Corporation.
He was appointed OBE for services to housing in 1974.
After his retirement he took up flying and got a pilot’s licence; he enjoyed gardening and tending his allotment. In later life he moved to north Norfolk, but he remained interested and involved in housing through the Housing Corporation and the Sutton Trust, which he chaired from 1980 to 1984 and then again from 1994 to 1996.
John Coward married, in 1949, Helen Heal, who survives him with their two sons.
John Coward, born December 20 1924, died November 20 2013

BOB KEWELL, December, 2013
MIKE PENNEY January, 2014
PETER JARVIS January, 2014
JOHN LEACH March, 2014
JOHN NEALE May, 2014
DAVID HEAL April, 2013
REUBEN BROWN February, 2014
ROY HARMAN October, 2014
PETER (P.D.) SMITH October, 2014
JOHN TOWERS November, 2014
FRED WHEATLEY February, 2015
TOM F EDWARDS April, 2015
BRIAN DELLER April, 2015
F (ROY) BODDY June, 2015
ROY (GRANNY) GRAYSON November, 2015
IAN WESTWATER November, 2015
PETER WATTS December, 2015
STEPHEN BELL December, 2015

THE Revd Stephen Bell, Assistant Curate of St Mary’s, Chiddingfold,Surrey, died on 22 December, aged 62, after a short illness. Stephen had been ordained deacon by the Bishop of Dorking in July. His funeral was held at St Mary’s on 6 January.
Before ordination, he had worked for 35 years in state secondary education, mainly in senior positions in challenging schools.   You can see a photo of Stephen's ordination at Guildford Cathedral under Familiar Faces

Chiddingfold Cricket Club
“It is with considerable sadness that we wish to inform you of the untimely passing of our former Chairman, 2nd XI Captain and player Stephen Bell. Stephen had fought a valiant battle against illness during 2015 but died just before Christmas in the Royal Surrey Hospital Guildford.
Stephen was the Chiddingfold CC 2nd XI Captain between 1998 and 2000 and Chairman between 2000 and 2001 and continued to play for us up until 2007. He played 140 games for the club, 120 games in the League between 1996 and 2007, scoring 1,159 runs in the League (including three 50s) and scored 1,349 runs overall.
Although an infrequent visitor to the ground in recent seasons he took a keen interest in the what was going on at the club as he did in life in Chiddingfold. Many of you will know he was a teacher by profession, Governor at St. Mary’s School and even led the school during one troubled phase. More recently his efforts had been channeled towards serving St. Mary’s C of E Church and he was proudly ordained as Deacon of St. Mary’s Chiddingfold by the Bishop of Guildford in July 2015.
Stephen, Steve and “Bello” to his chums will be sadly missed for his good humour, kind nature, wry smile and his quick witted reposts. His determined and thoughtful leadership seen as Chairman and 2nd XI Captain was robust in keeping with his day job as a Deputy Head, but nurturing too in bringing on the youthful talent and introducing many a young talent to the game.
The 2nd XI players and their wives and girlfriends will also remember that Jane, Stephen’s wife and daughter Emma were also near constant fixtures too at most games helping in all manner of ways with scoring, fielding, cleaning the pavilion and of course for organizing the Cricket Teas (5 loaves and two tins of Tuna can really go a long, long way). Fittingly their efforts were rewarded and Stephen and Jane were named joint Clubmen of the Year in 1999 and Stephen followed this by winning the award again the following year, 2000.
There will be a Service of Remembrance at St Mary’s C of E Church on Wednesday 6th January at 3pm, retiring to the Crown Inn thereafter. You are all welcome to join the service”

JOHN SWANE January, 2010

BOB PATTERSON early 2016

PHIL GRICE February, 2016
To David Richardson (from Christopher Turner 1st April, 2016)

I thought you would like to know that Philip Grice died in February of this year.   He was in his 80s.

He started at the school in 1955, I think. He was a huge influence in the school when I was there ( 1956 to 1963). He taught French and German, ran the athletics with K O Turner, managed football teams, and produced high quality drama. Later, he became head of Art some time after the departure of Jack Fairhurst. He retired to Lincolnshire many years ago, and that is where I met up with him again. He ended his days in a home in Kent, near to his daughter. To the best of my knowledge, Philip’s wife, Mollie, is still in a home ( she did some part time teaching at Shene...Biology, I think)

Philip was much respected by us all. He was a gentleman but not someone to be ‘messed with’. He was the key master in York House esp. as Mr Hyde and Mr Maclaren were a good deal older. Personally, I owe Philip a lot as he (and Alan Stephens) made a major impression on me, and may have been instrumental in my decision to become a teacher myself.

I hope your reunion goes well.

Best wishes

Christopher Turner

BARRY THOMAS April, 2016

ALAN BLOXHAM April, 2016

RON WINGER April, 2016
Ron passed away on 23rd April 2016 aged 83.


DEREK CARR, June 2016

Derek sadly passed away on Friday 10th June, 2016.  His three sons, Julian, Andy and Adrian, were with him and he was very peaceful throughout his short stay in Kingston Hospital.

Derek's funeral is arranged for 2.40pm on Friday 24th June at Mortlake Crematorium, Kew Meadow Path, Townmead Road, Richmond, TW9 4EN.

Afterwards his family will be hosting a celebration of Derek's life at The Plough, 42 Christchurch Road, East Sheen, SW14 7AF.

Messages may be sent to Derek's family via or Mobile 07739 978756.

Derek's family would very much look forward to seeing any of the Shene Old Boys on the 24th and celebrating his great life.

They would very much appreciate it if you could advise them if you are able to attend, so that they can plan accordingly.

They are planning family flowers only, but please do feel free to get in touch with Julian, Andy or Adrian directly.